The retreat of the glaciers provided the hills. The settlers who first arrived in this are turned the prairies into farmland. A prominent Chicagoan built the first lake, and his failed dream led to neighborhoods of housing for veterans. Thus was created the Village of Lake in the Hills, Illinois.
The first lake was formed prior to 1923 by Walter L. La Buy, a prominent Chicago attorney who later became a Cook County Circuit Court Judge and then a Federal District Court Judge, serving 23 years of full and par-time duty on ht federal bench.
He had purchased property along a creek running from Crystal Lake to the Fox River. The stone walls above mark the original entrance to his estate. La Buy and friends had an earthen dam constructed which created the lake. The five stucco homes on the south side of the lake on Indian Trail were built for family members. He is also credited with planting many of the oak and pine trees which later attracted others to the area.
In 1946, the Lake in the Hills Development Corporation purchased La Buy’s 473 acres and 300 more. The area was opened for for public sale in May 1947. They intended to provide affordable homes for veterans of World War II. Lots were a minimum of 60’ x 140’ and ranged in price from $500 to $3500.
The Village of Lake in the Hills was incorporated on Nov 29, 1952. The first elections for village president, trustees, clerk, and police magistrate where held on a snowy Jan 17, 1953.